Adventures in farming in Central Texas.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nearly a month later!

It's a busy time of year for everyone.  I'm still making the hour drive to the farm with the new little one, but she keeps me occupied for much of the day and I haven't been as active in all the work.  But it doesn't mean anything has slowed down!

We started our vegetable subscriptions for the year and are now providing produce for 6 families.  We hope to add more customers as the summer veggies start to trickle in...speaking of which, I think we will get our first summer squash this weekend!  It's one of the eight ball squashes I've been dying to try.  Dale continues to dig new beds and get the entire garden under cultivation.  He's making amazing progress.  Also in the garden, the construction of a "shed" has been underway for a few weeks.  It's hardly a shed - I'll post pictures and a description soon.

And of course all the goat babies means that we have tons and tons of milk!  Mom and I have made two batches of cheese so far - feta and mozzarella - and I'm gearing up for more hard cheeses this year.  The dairy is a ton of work but I really love it.  I'm hoping to find an 'apprentice' this year to help out with the process.


Spring is fun on the farm - but boy, is it a lot of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment