Adventures in farming in Central Texas.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Carrots

We've had a bumper crop of carrots on the farm this year.  In the desperate search for ways to use up the orange roots, I've learned quite a bit of trivia about what I thought was an ordinary vegetable.  I did know they come in a plethora of colors (we've grown them all!) and I just love this picture from the USDA:


The carrot is an ancient vegetable, most likely originating in present day Afghanistan.  Originally, the plant was grown for its medicinal properties but over the centuries has been developed into a sweet taproot that serves as a culinary vegetable today.

And then people went nuts and started growing bizarre carrots for county fairs.  You know those enormous pumpkins that are hauled on a trailer?  Well, carrots don't get that big, but I was still shocked at the world record holder...18.985 lbs.  And it's a horrible monstrosity.


There's carrot festivals and even a World Carrot Museum (though I think its just a 'virtual' museum, it's still kooky).

I'll be posting some of the carrot recipes that we will try in the next few weeks.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment