Adventures in farming in Central Texas.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Maxie's turn...

Sunday evening, we noticed that Maxie, on day 155 of her gestation (normal goat gestation being 145 to 155 days!) was acting more of a twit than normal. She is herd queen and doesn't let anyone forget that. But that night, she was actually preventing the other goats from entering the barn at all. So after evening graining, we separated her into the kidding stall. Even if she wasn't going to give birth that night, we weren't sure if anyone would survive in the barn with her! In fact, the kidding stall gate didn't survive her behavior and had to be modified before we felt that she was truly secure in there! I set my alarm for every 2 hours and drifted off to bed. Mom had already crashed on the couch so I figured she was down for the count and I'd be the nightwatchman.

10:00 PM: (yes, I went to bed before 10...) Maxie looks annoyed in her 'prison'. Nothing seems to be happening and I think she might have given me the finger as I left the goat pen.

12:00 AM: Maxie looks more annoyed. She's facing me so I can't see if there's any action going on so I enter the stall. She proceeds to lick me ALL OVER. This is what moms do to the babies when they are first born. I realize that kidding must be close - and sure enough she is starting to have a bit of a discharge. I turn the heat lamp on, set my alarm for 1:00 AM and stumble back to the house. It could be hours still and I'm way too tired to camp out with her.

12:59 AM: "There's a baby, GET UP!" Huh? Mom apparently woke up and went to check on Maxie and saw a brand new baby, minutes after being born, in the stall. I'm not even dressed before my own alarm goes off!

It's below freezing out and the baby, like all baby goats, is soaking wet. I'm sure that Maxie can handle it herself, but I figure I'll help since I'm there. The two of us work to get the HUGE baby dried off. Turns out, he's almost 10 pounds - 50% larger than any other babies born yet! Mom can barely cram him into the grain scoop we used to weigh them! Since Maxie wasn't all that big, both Mom and I decide she is having a single one. Just around the time the boy is actually standing for more than a few seconds, Maxie's head suddenly jerks up and her eyes get a little glassy. She turns around and almost literally drops another baby with a single push into my lap. I take the hint and get the sac and the vast majority of the goo off before Maxie starts up her own cleaning routine. It's a little girl, "only" 6.5 lbs (normal sized that is!).



We went to bed happy knowing we finally had a normal kidding for the season. The first two were just flukes. All seemed well for an entire day. Well...Tuesday morning, the big boy had scours - runny poop. Not too abnormal, but his seemed pretty bad. And then it just got worse. I won't horrify you with the picture that I took, but I had to record the event somehow. His poop went from normal yellow baby goat poop colored (albeit runny) to probably 90% blood. And he passed a huge 'thing' which appeared to be a blood clot.

Ok, so now we have a baby dying from something and maybe it's contagious. Frantic searches online, rereading all our goat books, calls to the vet, posts on goat forums. All signs point to an unhappy outcome...but they are leading us in different directions to even get there! The vet says give this, the online goat experts say that will kill the kid for sure. The books say do that, the vet says that will kill the kid for sure. In hindsight, I'm actually somewhat glad for the rampant confusion we were faced with.

After the first horrible bowel movement, he had one other bloody one. And then...well, things just got better. One more runny poop - no blood, just runny. And then everything was normal. He's up and playing, nursing, acting completely fine. We went ahead and gave him a dose of grapeseed oil extract (big concentration of antioxidants and used for all sorts of stressful goat ailments) to be on the safe side. Next morning, you would never know anything had ever been wrong with him.

So I'm glad for the paralyzing confusion. Perhaps the antidiarrheal the vet suggested would have killed him. Pulling him from nursing on his mom like the books suggested may have done him in. And most certainly, 'culling' him for necropsy to see what was causing the bleeding like suggested by online goat experts would have been the end! We were at such a loss for what to do that the hours we spent agonizing over it just gave the little guy time to get better on his own. Whew.

Three kiddings down, all with 'incidents', and three more to go. Come on ladies, we need some easy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment