Adventures in farming in Central Texas.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Antonelli's Cheese Shop

Yum! Chad and I just discovered a new gem in Austin. We ventured across the street from Mother's Cafe to have some dessert at La Dolce Vita when something more scrumptious caught our eye...cheese! Right next door, at 4220 Duval, sits Antonelli's Cheese Shop. They just opened last month, so don't feel like you've missed out on a long held secret!

The wonderful staff at the shop encouraged us to try ANYTHING we wanted. And we politely obliged. I was most focused on the sheep cheeses. I still haven't gotten around to milking Cat and Maggie, but I'm hoping to start that venture soon. I've had other sheep cheeses in the past, but why forgo an opportunity to try a few more? I settled on the wonderful Ossau-Iraty cheese from the Basque region of France. It's is superbly creamy with a little nutty flavor - supposedly a hallmark of sheep cheeses (I'm no connoisseur...yet!).

The store also carries some great local dairies including CKC Farms (goat cheeses) and Brazos Valley Cheese Co (the wonderful people who taught me to make cheese!). It really inspired me to get back into the art after being so down trodden because of the regulations. I'm now more excited than ever for the milking season to begin. Should be really really soon! Shelli was due yesterday and Maxie today. Come on girls!

Be sure to stop in a give this place a try. I'd love to have a local outlet like that if we ever do "go big". Support our local businesses!

Cheese Case at Antonelli's

From thrillist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment